Saturday, January 22, 2011

Week 3. The more you learn the more you realize how little you know.



Once you start to feel you got to the zenith of something, you come across, from time to time, with bunch of facts make you rethink of your convictions.

We sometimes overestimate our own merits when we think we know every thing about our specialties.

This notion becomes quite clear when you get involved in a discussion with people from the same specialty as of yours. They enrich you with resources you never had known at all. They might make you look at something in a different way.

At the beginning of this week I said to myself “this is my week... ESL websites..! What a coincidence..! I know the most important ESL websites” and to be honest, I would not expect any addition to what I already have.

I, gradually, began to read my classmates’ posts. I started with Mbarek’s. He recommended www.eslpod.com and www.manythings.org. I said “OK..! there we go, the first two websites.. let’s see what they contain.” I went through them and found amazing information which I wish I had known at earlier stage of my life, when I was graduating from high school and starting out as an English learner.

I went down the page and as I read a new post I found new things which have never been known to me at all.

I finally got to be best of the best, which I could not find words to describe it but to say ‘it’s second to none’. It’s www.elllo.org/english. What a blessing..! Nothing is better..! No more excuses not learning English. English language has become approachable by anyone, anywhere, at any age. No language, as far as I know, has been simplified as English. All one needs to do is just to stretch a hand and take the grape..!!

Thanks for everyone for these great information 


3 comments:

  1. Dear Faisal,

    I also think www.elllo.org/english is an excellent resource for us and for our students. What I like the most is that conversations are more "authentic" and some include vocabulary practice.

    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week has been an amazing discovery to many of us in terms of ESL websites. The web offers a lot of resources, and I find it excellent that we can have peers' reviews, comments and recommendation. It saves a big ammount of time wading though the web.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Faisal

    I also agree with you in the first idea that only when we join the discussions like these, we realize how little we know. So, I would also say this is a good space to know how little we know. Second, I agree with you in the fact that www.ello.org/english is one of the best sites for online English language learning. I have used it before and it is really productive and effective.

    Best
    Tharanga

    ReplyDelete