Saturday, February 12, 2011

Week 6: Collaborative learning...


    To me this week seems not to be like the previous ones.. I don’t know why..! Every time I log into the Nicenet and see the tasks I feel so scattered and don’t know from where to start. I stopped for a while, trying to make brainstorming but end up closing the page..


Anyway, let’s get started, this week was about how to teach large classes and how to use PP effectively. Two wonderful topics focused on the practical techniques of implementing technology in collaborative learning.

I have always been a big fan of collaborative learning, or say in-group learning, as it makes lots of short cuts to many things that could have taken several hours if dealt with individually. But, is it always good? Does it always have good impacts? Well, personally, I don’t think so. Sometimes it is quite the opposite, it turns to be time-consuming with very little outcome.

I like the “Just-in-Time Teaching” idea even though I don’t completely agree with the timeframe. As I mentioned in my post in the Nicenet, few hours before the class could make pressure to the teacher and might not be able to catch a whole idea of what the needs of the students are. Nevertheless, the idea generally is wonderful, and I think the timeframe is something changeable, up to the teacher.

I also read “How to Create Memorable Lecture”. The article mentions very important points, but what I liked most is “You can also ask students to generate their own examples from personal experience in class or as a written assignment” This statement made me pause and ponder upon our over-used educational systems, where teacher (so-called good teacher) goes into the classroom pouring out information and thoughts in a full and unrestrained way..!! Is that really a good teacher at all..!? To me this is a robot..!

Unfortunately, this is the typical image of a good teacher, but in reality that’s not right. The role of the teacher is not just delivering the information. If it was all about information then there are much more reliable sources e.g. books, internet…etc. On the contrary, teacher should be seen by students as a father, a brother, at least a friend with whom students can share experience, happiness and sadness.. We should not forget that we are dealing with human beings, just like us, with emotion and feelings. Nothing makes you better, the only difference between you and your students is that you are more knowledgeable than them, and this not because you’re smart or talented, it’s most likely because you’re older than them.

This might be considered as an idealism but believe me, if you managed to build a strong relationship between you and your student, a relationship that goes beyond the walls of the classroom, then you’ll enjoy teaching more.

It is not necessary that you go deeply into private matters. It’s enough to ask them for example about their families, about things they are interested in, things that are irrelevant to teacher-student relationship. Once you did that soundly you’ll see how they dedicate themselves to your subject.. I am sure some teachers do that and they agree with me to some extent.

In this week also we learned about thing that’s well known but unknown at the same time..! Mystery.. hah!? That is power point. Most people know what it is but don’t know how to use it properly. Me, having seen many poor presentations made me think this application is useless, but the reality is the opposite. “Top 10 Slide Tips” gives us brief but perfect information on how to make better presentation.. I hope we can make use of all information in this week..

Peace and Love

2 comments:

  1. Hi Faisal,

    I hope you have managed to complete this week's tasks though you have mentioned you found it a little difficult at the end!!!

    I like your idea about the student/teacher relationship. Especially as language teachers we need to have a closer relationship with our students. Otherwise it will add another reason for them to be inhibited.

    And as I have mentioned in one of our Nicenet discussions, if you get the students to do activities related to their lives, then do it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Faisal
    It is always nice to read your posts and reflections. You come from the same background as I do and that is why I think I find your posts interesting and useful to me.

    I too liked the "Just-in-time teaching" concept. I also agree with you and Umesah on the importance of a humane relationship between the teacher and his/her students.

    One idea I got from a trainer and I liked very much is on the importance of coming to class at least 10 minutes before the start of the class and spending at least 10 minutes in the class room after finishing the lesson with the students to build a better rapport with the students and discuss a few points and concerns they may have.

    Wishing you great times in Japan.

    abed

    ReplyDelete